Share |

Baby's 1st Passport

Yes. Every U.S. citizen — including infants — needs a valid passport to enter and leave most foreign countries. Unfortunately, applying for a first-time passport has become more stringent and complicated in recent years. No first-time passport applications are accepted by mail. As a parent or legal guardian, you must apply in person on your baby's behalf and you must bring your child with you when you apply.
If you plan to travel abroad within two weeks, or you need a foreign visa, you can visit one of 14 regional passport centers. These operate by appointment only; call (877) 487-2778 for an appointment.
1. Make an appoitment with your local post office
2. Print and fill out the application:
3. When applying, you'll need documentation that proves your baby's citizenship as well as your own identity and relationship to your baby.
4. 2 passport photos of your baby (CVS, Duane Reade, etc);  photos must be recent (within six months)
5. Fees
6.  Allow at least six weeks to receive the passport in the mail — longer in summer. (Two-week expedited service is available for an additional $60.) When the passport arrives, print your baby's name and then sign your own name (with relationship in parentheses) on the signature line.
Passports for children under age 16 are good for five years.